Welcome to A Light Up Ahead, the podcast! This weekly podcast is dedicated to pointing you toward the light of Christ through everyday experience. In order to get every episode for free, click here to subscribe to the podcast in the iTunes store. You can also look it up in the store by its title, “A Light Up Ahead.”
I will post a new episode each Sunday. My intention is to use the following passions of mine to help you see the light of Christ more fully:
- Video Games
If you like what you hear, I would greatly appreciate it if you rate my podcast on the iTunes store. The more ratings I get, the more easily new people can hear the podcast.
The Greatest Story Ever Told
In this episode, I talk about the power of story. We all recognize a good story when we experience one. Each of us has our favorite movies, books, or TV shows. We are passionate about our affection for them because of the powerful emotions these stories conjure within us.
But not all stories move us. So what makes a story great?
1. A moving story involves conflict. Without a challenge, the story doesn’t captivate us.
2. A powerful story involves change within the characters. People grow in order to rise up to the challenges they encounter. When the main characters aren’t transformed, we aren’t engaged as a reader/viewer, and the story doesn’t transform us. Who wants to spend their time with something like that?
What if our lives told a story? What if the same elements that make a story great are necessary to give our lives meaning?
God’s word is where we discover the role we are to play in this grand story. It’s only through Scripture that we see a full picture of what God has planned for us in the greatest story ever told, the story of our lives.
When we grasp this, three points of application arise.
1. Everything matters. Every part of life moves our story along. It all has significance. No matter how big or small, each decision is one that shapes us in our story.
2. There’s no better time than now. Every day is part of our story. When we wait until tomorrow to step out in faith, we miss out on the amazing opportunities God has set before us today.
3. Surrender your life to God. God is the author and finisher of our faith. He knows every day of our lives before they come to pass. The best way to live a life of meaning and significance, to tell a great story with your life, is to surrender it to God.
Scripture references (all references are NIV)
- Psalm 139:13-16
- Hebrews 4:12
- 2 Timothy 3:16
- Ephesians 2:10
Click here to download a PDF of the episode.
I’d love to hear your feedback about the show and how God is encouraging you to live a better story. What makes it hard to live a good story? What encourages you?