Episode 002 of A Light Up Ahead is live!
In order to get every episode for free, click here to subscribe to the podcast in the iTunes store. You can also look it up in the store by its title, “A Light Up Ahead.”
If you like what you hear, I would greatly appreciate it if you rate my podcast on the iTunes store. The more ratings I get, the more easily new people can hear the podcast.
Seeing God at Work in Everyday Experience
In this episode, we cover some helpful thoughts about how we can encounter God in our everyday experience.
God loves to use our passions, gifts, desires, and dreams to show us more about him. He uses each of these parts of life to draw us into a deeper relationship. Here are five suggestions I have to help us better see God at work in our everyday experience.
1. Read Scripture daily. I cannot emphasize this enough. It sounds like such a simple thing, and yet it’s tremendously difficult to do this consistently. Spend 15 minutes every day reading the Bible, and your life will never be the same. I promise.
2. Pray daily. This point is similar to the first, but it has a twist. Prayer seems to have a more immediate impact on my day. Daily prayer is vital in helping us see God at work around us.
3. Read regularly. I am forever indebted to J. K. Rowling because she got me into reading in a way I had never known before. Since reading the Harry Potter books, I’ve loved reading. I can’t tell you how many sermon illustrations, blog ideas, and book concepts have stemmed from my own reading. Reading feeds my soul, and God has spoken to me numerous times through the books I’ve been reading. If you want to have an open heart to God’s activity in your life, you need to read. It’s that simple.
4. Enjoy your passions. I mean really enjoy them. God has given us our talents, gifts, passions, and dreams. So when we embrace what God has called us to do, we are more likely to see God at work in those parts of life. God uses our passions to teach us new things.
5. Ask good questions. All four of these things I’ve mentioned so far help us see God at work around us. In fact, God is at work through each of these things. But we often don’t see God at work in these areas of life, especially when reading or when enjoying our passions. Asking good questions helps us identify where God is already working.
1. Dana asks how she can maintain a positive attitude, looking for God throughout the day when work feels like a constant challenge for her faith.
2. Peg asks about we can experience God more consistently, and notice his work in the moment.
3. Sara asks about what we can say to people who are suffering and find it difficult to experience God’s presence.
- Mark Batterson, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day
- Greg Odgen, Transforming Discipleship
- Jeremy Statton, “Learning to Love Mondays”
- Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years
- Rob Bell, Rain, NOOMA Episode 1
Click here to download a PDF of the episode.
Do you have any questions about anything you heard in the episode?
What about you? What helps you experience God’s presence more regularly?
I’d love to hear about your progress in the coming weeks as you try out these suggestions.